I have decided to celebrate my 60th birthday (August 12, 2014) and my evolving sense of self by taking on 60 new or different things in the year of 60 (though technically I’m now in my 61st year).
I’m compiling my to-do list and have started playing with new opportunities, big and small. Some are sensuous indulgences.
I didn’t have a good pair of high heeled shoes, rationalizing that since I don’t often dress up they weren’t necessary. Why think about ‘necessary’ and practicalities. Isn’t this about me opening up to new things? What happens when I have the urge to put on heels? Why not be proactive? These thoughts were on my mind as I wandered into a shoe store in D.C. last week and found a charming salesman and some delightful shoes.
Check out my new sexy black heels, Italian made, from a company called pas de rouge—stepping into red. They were expensive, but you know what? I’m worth it.
Stepping into red may become the theme for my year.
Here are some of the other treats I want to experience in this year of my 60th birthday. An asterisk means I’ve crossed that one off the list.
- Buy black high heels *
- Take a long trip alone-Santa Fe *
- Four hands massage *
- A full day at a spa- Ten Thousand Waves, Santa Fe *
- Say No to something I know isn’t right for me—because I need to do what suits my life *
- Get new purple glasses (coming this week) *
- Wear lipstick more often *
- Maybe I’ll start wearing eye liner? *
- Sell my house * In process-preparing house to go on market in spring.
- Take a drawing class
- Get in the car one weekend and just go someplace
- Learn to play bridge, again
- Go to a concert alone
- Publish a book
- Write the book!
- Spiritual retreat
- Take up yoga
- Take the train to NYC for a long weekend -June 2014
- Attend a needlepoint retreat
- See a Broadway play
- Audit a Russian literature class at The University of Virginia
- Take a wine tasting class
- Submit an essay to the New York Times or other big magazine
- Have sex with a woman
- Have sex with a much younger man
- Develop my webinar
- Book a beach house for late spring
- Explore a new cuisine
- Plan a trip to Greece
- Professional photo shoot
- Read 3 classics in this year-So I’ll read the classic spy writer, Ian Fleming and a classic in 2 other genres
- Form a book group
- Attend a class at the gym
- Read Anais Nin from start to finish (12/31- The Portable Anais Nin arrives via mail)
- Write 1000 words every day (in process)
- Achieve a debt free status
As you can see I have a ways to go and whether I find and check off 60 things really isn’t relevant. It’s about the journey. It is about being open to the possibility of change. It is about opening up.