I always knew there was something special about May. As a young virgin at an all girls boarding school we would dance around the Maypole–dressed in white, celebrating the coming of May. And, what ever else you might conjure up with girls wrapping things around a large phallic object!
This May I’m celebrating Masturbation Month. I’m thrilled to be a part of this movement to bring sex out of the bedroom and into the …..use your imagination! I’d like to change the title to Self-Pleasuring Month as it has a more delicate and obvious tone. Because that’s what we’re doing–we are giving ourselves pleasure.
There are many benefits to masturbation, or self-pleasuring. The main one being pleasure. We celebrate to emphasize that it is acceptable to enjoy our bodies, just as we enjoy the foods we eat, the sights we see and the myriad things our hands explore (use your imagination) in any given day!
As The Sex Expert at Better After 50 I’ve written a post on Masturbation Month talking about the many reasons a woman over 50 should be self-pleasuring….in case you don’t already know why! Here’s a teaser:
- Self-pleasuring, for both sexes, is the quickest, safest and least complicated way to achieve a climax or simply enjoy pleasurable sensations.
- Women’s bodies are not as straightforward as men’s. Some of us have trouble achieving orgasm. Through self-pleasuring you can become acquainted with your clitoris, labia and vagina. You learn what areas feel good and how you like to be touched. Do you like a gentle fluttery touch or something firmer? Where exactly do you need to touch to get that breathless sensation? Do you need penetration as well as clitoral stimulation? You learn about your body and it’s responses through touch. And, you can then share that knowledge with a lover, spouse or whoever! (probably not your kids or your mother)
- Women who are single want and need sexual release. Self-pleasuring is ideal. It’s safe and satisfying when there is no suitable partner around.
- Sexuality starts in the brain for many women. When we think sexy thoughts we become aroused and more inclined to engage in sexual activity. It jumpstarts our libido. Self-pleasuring, at least for me, helps me feel sexier. It gets me thinking in a playful, sensual mood that can last all day!
- There are health benefits associated with sexual play. Some women experience a decrease in lubrication during menopause—the arousal that comes from sex with a partner, or solo sex produces natural secretions. Vaginal sexual activity helps to keep the vagina walls supple, which can reduce or prevent vaginal atrophy. Orgasms make us feel better, give us a spurt of energy, get our heart rate up a little and overall, contribute to a better outlook on life.
The rest of my article, including recommendations on vibrators, can be read at BetterAfter50. Read more…..